You may send your articles by using the comment option.
Please inform if you find any information that is no longer valid or has been placed in the wrong category.
Feel free to use the search engine on this page to find anything you may be looking for.

Saturday 2 October 2010

Vintage War Birds and the Spruce Goose at the Evergreen Museum

Vintage War Birds and the Spruce Gooze – Evergreen Museum
Read Jetsetters Magazine at www.jetsettersmagazine.com
Read this entire feature FREE with photos at
http://www.jetsettersmagazine.com/archive/jetezine/sports02/adventure/flight/evergreen/evergreen.html

Old barns drift by as I drive southwest on Highway 99W from Portland. I am in Oregon's scenic Willamette Valley, and from Highway 18 I start looking for a huge new A-framed building nestled in a broad vineyard near McMinnville. Following the signs, I drive up the curving access road until the high glass front of the building looms above me. Staring out from behind the windows is the Spruce Goose.

Evergreen International Aviation, based right across Highway 18, owns and operates the museum. The current building, completed in 2001, was designed around Howard Hughes' famous wooden aircraft. Volunteer docents, many of them veteran combat fliers, inform me with facts and regale me with stories of the Goose and many other famous planes there.

No comments: